I love reading happy clients. I also love that almost every client commented on how well their makeup lasted. That's always one of the top questions people ask, "if it will last". Its going to last and you will also want your wedding day to last forever!!! ❤
I want to tell you something....no, as a makeup artist I NEED to tell you something....you are beautiful. Your fiance asked you to be his bride for who YOU are. When you are 60 years down the road, he is going to roll over in the morning and stare into your aged eyes with all your wrinkles and imperfections and love you more than you can understand in this moment. When it's time to look at your wedding pictures with your grandchildren, what do you want to see? What do you want your great grandchildren to say? Do you want them to hang a picture of you two in their home out of reverence for your love? YES?! Is the answer yes??? My grandparents were married for 64 years and I have not 1 but 2 pictures from their wedding hanging in my house. PLEASE consider this when you are making choices for your wedding day. Not so much about the actual wedding but more in regards to your dress, your hair, your makeup, his tux/suit and photographer....remember the timeless images in your mind you want to create.
Now let me address what I KNOW about. Your makeup. In my opinion, every generation has something that "dates" their wedding pictures. Historically it's the actual wedding dress....the style, material, cut and shape tells us what decade you were married in. In my opinion, what is going to "date" brides now is the makeup trends. I blame pinterest for showing us a billion pictures of "brides" with heavy contouring, heavy highlight and dramatic eyes, allowing modern brides to create this as the new standard of what they want. SHAME ON YOU PINTEREST! Those arent REAL brides, those are models. In a studio, under the right lighting to create the perfect filtered picture....This is completely creating a false expectation for 20-35 year old brides. Here's why....
1. Its UNREASONABLE - sure everyone wants to look like a cover model on their wedding day but truth is we all have our unique face shapes that makes this literally impossible. I am 100% confident in my ability as an artist to do anything, heck I can give you a prosthetic nose on your wedding day if you wanted BUT just because I can doesn't mean I should. It's not about me, it's about YOU and YOU looking like YOU. So please, please dont ask me to extremely contour your face, dont ask me to make your eyes look like a different shape, don't ask me to make your lips bigger, and please don't ask me to give you brows when you don't have any (worse when you don't normally do them like that). If you are going to ask me to go full on Ru Paul on you on your wedding day, (again which I DO NOT suggest) then we need to practice THIS look ahead of time so on the wedding day I know what's going to work for you and what's not. If you KNOW you are going to want a really dramatic look (1% of brides are like this all the time), tell us ahead of time so we can discuss BEFORE the trial run. So we can plan ahead for more time (which will be a higher rate) and even if it comes to it suggesting another artist that might better fit your style! I can't give you 2 hours of my time and charge the same as a bride who wants a traditional look in 45- 60 min. When I work, I WORK diligently so my time is to be valued....this is the same for all Glossa Girls.
2. Its UNEXPECTED- I am sure your mom, dad or whoever is paying for your photographer didn't expect their beautiful girl to come out full on Queen on her wedding day. They are expecting to see the best version of YOU and not a replica of a pinterest picture, who doesnt even look like you. You want people to stop and stare at your stunning bridal beauty not all the drama you have going on with your makeup, hair and dress...worse you dont want your groom to stare at you in unexpected shock as you walk down the isle than to be thinking "here comes my bride".
3. Its UNNECESSARY- Quite frankly, at your age, you are at your beauty peak. You are at the pinnacle of your beauty....you do not NEED all the contouring and highlighter and lashes and drama of a 40 year old man trying to look like a woman. You have natural glow on your side!!! Sure it's fun to go a little drag when going out for a girls night, bachelorette party or what not but on your wedding day....THE DAY that will define your partnership for the rest of your life, THE day all of your friends and family are going to be starting at you, THE day you will treasure pictures forever.....all of THAT is unnecessary. Maybe a little, just enough for people to say "DANG" but too much is overload. Have you ever had a chocolate cake that is good, but it's so dense and sweet you eat a few bites and you are like "ewww enough" yeah, that's how having overly dramatic makeup is. At first it looks great but then after a while you look at someone like "what is that crap all over your face"? Even for the best artists as myself, doing our best work, after a while the "you" starts to come through and you just look like you have been playing in makeup instead of your best self on your wedding day. I remember going to one of my boyfriends friends wedding as a date. The bride I had hung out with a lot (our boyfriends were friends) so I knew how she normally did her makeup....when she first walked down the isle I was startled....her MAKEUP was stunning but SHE didnt look like herself. We got through the ceremony and at the reception I just kept staring....like "who are you?" A few cocktails in (and maybe 4 hours after the I DOs) I was dancing on the dance floor with her and her makeup was starting to separate on her face!!!! Literally separate, like oil and water. It looked like a mask slowly melting off. I knew who her makeup artist was and later asked the makeup artist about the wedding. The MUA said she came into the wedding day wanting, no demanding even after the MUA told her she didnt think it was a good option, to have this look which wasnt what they had done at the trial run. The required products that DIDNT work for her skin, the look was wrong for her face shape and it took way more time than they had planned making the makeup artist late! The MUA was stuck between doing what the client wanted and doing what her face needed.....the result was looking like a HOT MESS by the end of the night. It wasnt the MUA fault, it was the CLIENT for not listening, planning ahead to do another trial and being unrealistic about how she wanted to look. YOU may want it, but YOU DONT need it!!!
Bottom line, you are not a Kardashian. Wanna know how they look perfect all the time? They have a makeup artist (Mario, love him) and a hair stylist that follow them, ride in the car with them, on stand by to touch them up at ALL TIMES. Unless you are planning to pay for this on your wedding day, keep it simple. Let us make sure your look is going to stay put and keep it YOU. Editorial makeup is good for 2-4 hours, with touch ups. There is a reason why companies pay us $$$$ to be on set all day for 1 or 2 people. Your makeup has to last you 12 hours with NO touch ups and no artist on stand by (unless your budget allows $$$) SO keep it maintainable, let us do our job of knowing how to make you feel your best. Sure we care what your preferences are but let us be the master of what we know!
Your parents will thank you for not dating 15k in photos with your "dated" fashion fad makeup and hair (they are trends after all), your groom will thank you for being yourself....the girl he wants to marry, and your 80 year old self will thank you for giving pictures your grandkids are proud to hang.
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. YOU are the ideal BRIDE. Let's make you feel stunning as you.
Never fails...8am the day of the wedding rolls around. We set up makeup and are ready to start the first girl and NO ONE wants to start. Everyone is dragging a little, maybe even hung over. The "popping bottles" fun vibe associated with getting ready isnt there. What's the best way to get any party started? MUSIC. More times than not, this is not a planned detail so we are either stuck listening to the venue "radio" mix or a bridesmaid puts on their "playlist" which makes grandma suzie blush. In order to avoid all awkward situations, just plan ahead and add to your things to set out for the morning a portable speaker and iPad playlist (tip dont hook it up to the phone, it's really annoying when the phone rings a lot and interrupts music). Here is our list of faves that are general crowd pleasers to get the day off on the right foot from the begining!
(Approx 2 hours play time)
1. Happy - Pharell William's
2. Dance with Somebody - Whitney Huston 3. Dreams - Cranberries
4. Stuck Like Glue - Sugarland
5. Wishin and Hopin - Dusty Springfield
6. Teenage Dream - Katy Perry
7. I got a feeling - Blackeyed Peas
8. White Wedding - Billy Idol
9. Wannabe - Spice Girls
10. Isnt she Lovely - Stevie Wonder
11. Ever Ever After - Carrie Underwood
12. Glamorous- Fergie
13. Love Story - Taylor Swift
14. Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
15. Whatta Man - Salt N Peppa
16. Halo - Beyonce
17. Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cindy Lauper
18. You're the One that I want - Grease
19. PYT - Michael Jackson
20. I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) - Proclaimers
21. Treasure - Bruno Mars
22. Location - DJ Khaled
23. Get your shine on - FL Georgia Line
24. What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction
25. You and I - Lady Gaga
26. Holiday - Madonna
27. Cant Stop the Feeling - Justin Timberlake
28. Wanna Be Me To - Meghan Tranior
29. Sorry Not Sorry - Demi Lovoto
30. Let me Love You - DJ Snake
Great job girls...the whole wedding party looked amazing. Big shout out to Amanda Donaho Photography for the beautiful images yet once again!
Looking for a yummy natural lotion that is paraben free? Love the smell of this one, keeps you smelling fresh especially after a spray tan. Helps keep skin super moisturized in the winter months.
We love working with new vendors to us, we love even more when they send us amazing photos of our artists work! This is beautiful miss Erika from this July on her wedding day. Great job Carmen, another naturally stunning bride.
As many of you know, there are lots of Glossa Girls and even a Glossa Guy. Most everyone knows the owner Lyndsey Yeager. Most people have also experienced working with Glossa Girl Carmen as our Bridal Specialist but there are MORE! More amazing artists that have trained with Lyndsey and worked with Glossa. We thought we would take a moment to introduce a new team member per season in a way that is fun and exciting so that when you book with one of our artists, you know more about them!!
THIS SEASON IS ANGELA'S SEASON!
Attached is some of Angela's beautiful work! We asked Angela to give us 20 interesting things about her and this is what she had to say:
1. I'm 27
2. I have an Associate's degree in Marketing Management from UC & a Bachelor's degree in Public Relations from NKU
3. I love makeup!
4. I work as the Director of Shows & Events at the Home Builders Association in Northern Kentucky
5. I've been dating my bf for 6 years (update since she wrote this they are now ENGAGED!)
6. We just bought a house
7. I have a cat named Louie
8. I love animals
9. For some reason I really want a bunny
10. I like to do Pure Barre
11. My favorite color is green
12. Lipstick is my fave
13. I love to sale shop
14. I'm originally from Florida
15. I've lived in another country
16. I love summer
17. Christmas is my favorite holiday
18. I can be a little bit of a control freak
19. I love to travel and go on random trips
20. I love bourbon
I was headed to a production set and ran into Walgreens to pick up some waters and found these Jordana Matte Lip colors. The middle is Lolita by Kat Von D I bought at Sephoria for about $22. The color that on the outside looks the same is the bottom shade. Its actually a little darker. The color on the top is the next shade lighter. Mixed together they are almost the exact color of the KVD. I got them for about $3 or $4!!!! Just thought I would Share!
Five Things your makeup artist WISHES you would quit talking about....
By: Lyndsey Marie Yeager - @glossagirl
I have heard a few makeup artists talk about this in our circle and I have read one blogger talk about it as well. I feel like I may be repeating what other makeup artists have said however, the more people speak UP about it the more people will get the point to NOT TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS with your makeup artists because it shows your LACK of actual makeup artistry knowledge.
1. BAKING - This is a "popular" technique that people have talked about all over YouTube. Here's the REAL story on this...back in the day (when I started doing makeup 17 years ago) we learned in makeup school that you put an excessive amount of setting powder under the eyes before you do the eye makeup so that it sets the concealer really well and so when you are done doing eye makeup you can brush away any fall out from eye shadow. Here is a NEWS FLASH for everyone...the concealers we were using were one molecule short of grease paint so they REQUIRED setting this way. Fast forward 20 years, concealers have come a long long way and have awesome things in them to help treat under the eye area as well as cover unwanted darkness. They DO NOT require this form of setting any longer. NEITHER DO THE HIGHLIGHTERS WE USE. So please, stop telling us to "bake" anything on your face. It's a gimmick and actually CAN make you look older.
2. Strobing - Who remembers MAC strobe cream from 20 years ago? WE DO! Even back then, we knew strobe cream was only appropriate for certain situations. Highlighting with a shimmery product still, holds true it is ONLY appropriate in certain situations. If we do too much of it for your wedding day or senior pictures the flash of the camera will catch that highlight and make a glare, at a minimum you will look sweaty and that NEVER looked good on anyone but Kate Moss during fashion week. So again, Strobing is NOTHING NEW just a gimmick by companies to reinvent the wheel.
3. Airbrush makes you look flawless. - FALSE, A TALENTED MAKEUP ARTIST makes you look flawless...well the best we can. We are makeup artist not magicians. Sorry to say it, it doesn't take a lot of talent to spray foundation all over the skin. It however DOES take a lot of talent to choose two to three foundation colors for a customized blend, applying to the different parts of your face that need different kinds of coverage, then blending them with the right techniques that it looks like all the same, at the same time making it look like you have nothing on your skin. This is what a TRUE makeup artist should be able to do. I remember back in the day when we had vials of Black, White, Yellow, Red, and Green and we had to MAKE FOUNDATION with these things so we can understand the components of color and how to make it work to people's benefit. I am over this idea that picking up one shade of a "foundation" color and adding a few drops to a spray gun and pulling a trigger takes more skill. Wrong Secondly, there is the false assumption "It lasts longer" that's not a definite statement, it is a maybe statement...MAYBE it lasts longer (refer to my post about types of airbrush foundation) but NOT TRUE ALL THE TIME. Again it depends on how knowledgeable the makeup artist is about the products they use and what's in them. What did we ever do for beauty makeup BEFORE airbrush? Guess everyone's' makeup just slid off their face. A REAL makeup artist has tricks to get the makeup to last, with or without an airbrush.
4. "You are Caucasian, can you do makeup on darker skin tones?" - UMMMMM YES! A true makeup artist can do makeup on anyone....Red, Yellow, Brown, Pink, Purple...heck Elphaba can come in herself and we got this! A professional will ALWAYS have tones for every shade and be well schooled in how to do any face that sits in their chair. Again a TRUE makeup artist. Some "makeup artists" aren't able to do it, so its important to not ask the makeup artist if she can or can't do a skin tone, its better to ask where they were trained. Not in a condescending way, but in a way that shows you are curious about how they started doing makeup and that alone should give you enough information about their background to know if they have done makeup on all types OR CHECK OUT THEIR SOCIAL MEDIA AHEAD OF Time and it should give you the answer you are looking for.
5. Contour- This is the BIGGEST ONE - believe it or not, this was a thing before the Kardashians. I have had a refillable "Highlight and Shadows" palette since 2005 from the Make Up Designory that BEATS anything out there these days. As trained makeup artists we do this anyway. It's a given...you don't have to ask us for it. If we are doing a natural look (or if you have really light skin tone) we may use a few colors of foundation to achieve this effect or if we need something even more subtle we will use powders to do this...whatever way WE DECIDE HOW to do a "contouring" technique that is best for your face and skin.
Basically, if you are going to be knowledgeable about makeup do more research than watching people on YouTube and research your artist BEFORE hiring them so you KNOW they are a professional and are going to pull out all the tricks without you having to tell the artist how to do their job.
If you are like me, you look at pics of girls with these beautiful smiles and lip color and say, ohhhhhhh I want that! Here are a few things you need to do BEFORE you can apply the perfect lip....
YOU NEED Pearly whites!!!
Lip color a lot of times WILL make your teeth look yellow. No one likes that!! Whitening your teeth is important but there are so many products...what works?
1. Crest Whitestrips work so well. But they make your teeth sensitive. I would use to jumpstart the teeth Whitening process and then maybe move to a gentler product after the first 20 days of using.
2. Twilight Teeth - this system does work. It comes with a UV light to use. Doesn't make teeth uber sensitive.
3. Whitening toothpaste. Eventually it will help but it's more a maintenance not something that will make them go whiter quick.
4. Baking soda or charcoal powder. Brushing with either will also help whiten.
Day 10 - my lips are ready!
1. Scrub them! Using sugar and coconut oil, brush them with a toothbrush to remove dead skin.
2. Hydrate- when preparing to use a lip color intensely Hydrate for 10 min. Or so with an ointment like Aquaphor or Rosebud Salve. Wipe completely before using lip color.
3. Protect - always protect lips in winter or summer by having a sunscreen lip balm on at all times! In the winter will protect from blisters and chapped but in summer will protect from sun and wrinkles around the mouth!
It's NOT just used for grilling. Activated charcoal is amazing for detoxification and cleaning! Here are all the ways you can use this natural wonders to help you!
1. In your skincare - of course you can add it to a hydrating mask so that you are getting hydrated and detoxified.
2. In your drink - you can drink it by adding some coconut water, maple syrup, lemon, lavender to it to detoxed your body.
3. On your teeth - for a natural teeth whitener you can brush it on your teeth mixed with a little water and let sit for a few min. Before rinsing.
4. As a cleaner - mix into a paste using a little Meyers Cleaning Day natural cleaner. Clean with a sponge and wipe away. Good for kitchen and bathroom!
How many times have you heard me say that I can do your makeup perfectly but of you do not put amazing things into your body, you will not look amazing on the outside. Your skin is a living organizsm. If you do not feed it with awesomeness, you will not see awesomeness. Pretty simple concept. So, if you are like me and you do not LOVE to eat your greens here are some tips for you....
1. Greens - Drink it. I have found drinking cold pressed juices are easier for me than eating salads. I dunno why, but they are packed with nutrients. Yes they are expensive but guess what, so Botox!
2. Vitamins - YES there are vitamins that help with the skin. ALA - Alpha Lipoic Acid is one. Biotin is another and of course Vitamin C.
3. Beta Carotine - This is in most veggies and is what activates your skins glow. You can take it via capsule or add it to a smoothie.
4. Lemon Water- It has been said, women who start their day with warm water and lemon have better skin and better vocal cords. So skip the morning coffee and keep it simple!
Often these two things go hand and hand. We all have our own skin "issues" but for most of us they fall under 2 separate categories...
1. Oily, break outs, uneven skintone
2. Dry, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation
Some of us are blessed to have BOTH these things, such as myself hahaha but really, you mainly fall under one or another.
Treatment is HUGE and Hydration even more important for BOTH issues. Let's first start with Day 5, treatment...
1. Oily - Teatree oil is one of the BEST things to encourage cleansing of the skin. You can put the oil directly on your problem areas or add a little to a mild lotion. Using any products with Teatree can help as well but beware NOT to dry out the skin too much because then you will produce MORE oil to over compensate. Adding a toner like Laura Mercier Perfecting water will also help hydrate the skin bringing the PH balance back without adding oil.
2. Dry - my favorite thing to use on the skin, and I've blogged about it so much o feel like I should be paid by the company is Damascus Rose Oil by Badger. It is a treatment and hydration all together. I use it under my eyes even. Love this. Also for wrinkles anything with Alpha Lipoic Acid in it is nice as an anti aging.
NOW for Hydration....
1. Oily peeps - yes use an oil free moisturizer in the day but BEWARE do not use it at night!! Use a regular moisturizer at night. Your skin NEEDS hydration or it will go too Oily trying to produce it for itself, increasing your problem. So use a toner like witch hazel and then a good night cream.
2. Dry peeps - consider using a nighttime moisture mask at least a few times a week. You put it on before bed and sleep in it. OR at minimum a good night Cream. I like Boots No 7 night cream. Also, if you are going to tone...use something gentle like rose water.
That's pretty much the skinny on that! Of course we could get wayyyyy more complicated with it but if you are like me, keeping it simple will ensure you actually do it haha!
Did you know our skin regularly needs to be exfoliated in order for the "new" skin to shine through? Not just our face but our bodies as well. However, there is a fine line between having a clean break with the dead skin cells and damaging our skin. Here are a few things I love to exfoliate with....
1. Clarins has a great gentle exfoliator for the face. Nice to do in the shower.
2. I've been using a scrub from MOJO Spa in Chicago that is made of Peppermint and Rosemary oils. It had cleared up my skin extremely well!
3. Lush Sea Salt scrub - it makes me feel like I am at the ocean! Love this stuff!!
4. Dry exfoliator, this one by BOSCIA, it is an interesting concept. I like this a lot for a gentle exfoliation. It feels nice and controlled.
1. One of the best I have found I get at Ulta by Tree Hut. It doesn't dry out and it makes the skin feel awesome.
2. You can make a body scrub yourself! Sometimes I whip one up with sugar, brown sugar, sea salt...brewed coffee grounds to tighten skin, essential oils like sweet orange or peppermint.
The key is to have a mit available to use for exfoliation. Propperly. You all know I wouldn't recommend things unless ice tried it! Below are some photos FROM MY HOUSE of the products over mentioned above!
Exfoliate away and give your skin a new day!!!
People say to me all the time "I have problem skin" whether the problem is wrinkles, breakouts or sun damage. EVERYONE thinks that their skin is the "worst" so here are two things that are going to help with your skin from the inside out.
1. Drink more water!
I know people say this often but it is SO true!!! I love this explanation..."The fact is that skin is an organ, and just like any other part of the body. your skin is made up of cells. And skin cells, like any other cell in the body, are made up of water. Without water, the organs will certainly not function properly or at their best. If your skin is not getting the sufficient amount of water, the lack of hydration will present itself by turning your skin dry, tight and flaky. Dry skin has less resilience and is more prone to wrinkling" - University of Wisconsin
So how much water? At LEAST two liters.
2. DRINK TEA!
So often, skin gets out of wack because the PH in the skin is off causing the skin to be "too dry" or "too oily" or even "too red" in tone. A great way OTHER than topical skincare is to bring the body's PH back. To do this ingesting products that increase alkaline in the body also changes the PH balance. There are foods and topical things will do this as well but who doesn't love a good cup of tea! NOT all teas are Created equal here...there are only a few that promote PH balance. My two favorite are:
- Peppermint Tea: very alkaline, very tasty and very, very good for digestion. It’s refreshing, natural and caffeine free and has been widely recommended for IBS, flatulence, bad breath, nausea and heartburn.
- Ginger Tea: one of my personal favorites, this zingy bad-boy is also good for digestion and nausea – but is also great for circulation, colds, flu, stress and headaches.
A few nights ago, I did a makeup lesson in home for 3 ladies. Mom, and two daughters. Each were at different stages of life and just needed minor tweaks to how they have been applying their makeup! Here are some follow up notes from our session because we talked about a LOT between the three of them! Here are the notes and all of the product links are below!
1. Skincare - I suggested adding Damascus Rose Oil in the evening to balance the skin and for natural hydration.
2. Brow Grooming – Other than a little clean up, your brows are great! Below are the little razors I was talking about for easy and pain free clean up!
3. Eyes – We used your pink toned eyeshadow in the pallet with the fluffy eye shadow brush that is in your set. If you want to add some more depth to the eye, you can use the shimmery brown in the outter corner and blend inward with the fluffy brush. Instead of using eyeliner underneath, I suggested using the angle brush with a matte brown shadow (for you, Julie and Mom actually) I listed one below. I used the brown eyeliner that you have in the lash line on the top only. Mascara that you have if fine, I included my favorite below just so you all know.
4. Foundation – For you, we used the Tarte 12 Hour Poreless Primer BB Cream. It is the one that is a foundation, moisturizer and primer all together. You are Light. We used the NYX concealer under the eyes and lightly if there are any spots you need it.
5. To Set it your makeup – I suggested using the Makeup Forever HD Transparent Powder with the larger powder brush. The travel size is just fine! It will last a long time. Brush all over the face.
6. Blush – I choose a brown based blush so that you can apply to the top part of the cheek bones to blend the pink in your cheeks. The color was Smashbox True Flush. Which you can get at Sephora. It is a color in a Platte so they may have something closer individually.
7. Lips – I showed you a several different kinds but the one that you liked the best was the L’Oréal 117 Long wear under the gloss you have already! Which you can find at Walgreens.
1. Skincare – We talked about the mlisma spots and I researched a few products. Looks like things that naturally brighten age spots are Vitamin C and E and Licorice Root. Here is a website that sells several products that you can compare. This is one that I thought looked good!
2. Concealer and Powder – Instead of the foundation we used the Bye Bye Undereye concealer in Medium on the spots we needed it and blended with the Urban Decay Blurr Brush all over the face. To finish, we added the Palladio Botanical Powder in Nude with a brush.
3. Cheeks – I choose the peachier tones. I like the Smashbox Light Coral for you.
4. Eyes – We kept your eyes simple. We used the Rose Gold in the pallet that Jessica bought you and accented in the outter corners with the matte pink in the pallet. I added the brown matte under shadow with the angled brush instead of eyeliner (See Above) on the top for you we used the cream eyeliner and angled brush. The cream eyeliner is below and for an angled brush I would just get a cheap ELF angled brush from Target. Mascara is my favorite listed below.
5. THE BEST eye makeup remover that we talked about was the Garnier eye makeup remover.
6. Brow – To groom your brows I used the NYX Blonde Grooming gel
7. Lips – We talked about how your lips have a natural pink to them so lining lightly with the NYX Nude Beige Liner.
Mrs. W –
1. Brows – we started with your brows because this is your biggest challenge. When you do your brows first, it will frame your face so that you can do the rest of your makeup after!
- We used 3 products for your brows – We used FIRSTthe Brow Pencil – Essence in Blonde – be sure to use light strokes starting in the middle to draw the brow out then add in the front part of the brow meeting in the middle. It is cheapest at Ulta.
- Then we used the brow groomer to brush through, the NYX brow gel in Blonde. (Same as Julies above)
- After, we filled in any gaps with the Salon Perfect Brow Pomade in Dark Blonde you can get a Walmart.
2. Then we highlighted the eye and most specifically under the brows with the highlighter. We added this under the eye as well instead of a concealer. A good one is the Urban Decay 24 Hour Concealing stick you can get at Ulta. Any concealing stick is important.
3. Eyes – All over the lid we used a matte pink and in the crease we used a warm brown tone. These colors were specifically by Two Faced cosmetics in the Chocolate Pallete. For liner, we used the gel liner and angle brush like on Julie’s makeup into the lash line (product above). Remember to try NOT to draw it on or get too much on the lid to open the eyes.
4. Foundation – The best for you is the Dior Hydralife, it will moisturize and keep dewy. I would try to go to Dillards for this, have them specifically match you.
5. Powder – Lightly dust the HD Powder (shown above as well in Jessica's products) all over the face.
6. Blush – Smashbox True Flush brown based blush - Sephora
7. Lips – Nude Beige lip liner (which is cheapest at Ulta) is nice on you by NYX with a chubby stick. It is just enough color and still moisturizing again, I would get from Dillards.
Finally, I suggested to all of you a setting spray the All Nighter by Urban Decay. I am also listing below a decent brush set.
Thanks ladies for having me at your house!! I had a great time catching up! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!!
My sister Kim is amazing; she owns a boutique that just opened in Ludlow, Ky called Leeta Ruth (check out the FB page!), she runs a very successful team of Stella and Dot stylists on top of her own clientele, she is a mom of two adorable small kids, she is a wife, a cook and enjoys Yoga. Kim has always been busy but since she's taken on these roles in life she has gotten busier. However, now as a brick and mortar business she needs to have a more polished look to go with her impeccable style. Here are some suggestions I have for Kim on how to quickly achieve a maintainable look....
1. Skincare - Cleansing - Alba makes wipes called "Good and Clean" that are natural based but one side has an exfoliator and they are great for taking off makeup quick before Yoga or after a long day you can keep them next to your bed. I am also obsessed with this Facial Oil by Badger (below) they have regular but I prefer the Demascus Rose because it is made for more delicate skin. I have found this really balances the skin while moisturizing and protecting. I use under eye as well as all over face in the evening.
2. Foundation - Since I know that Kim has good skin integrity but she also is active and she is 37 she needs a little coverage, a primer and something oil free so I am going to suggest one of my favorites the Tarte BB 12 Hour Poreless Prime. I know Kim doesn't have a ton of time so to have a product that can do multiple things at once instead of applying a primer, a sunscreen, a foundation and a filler all at once this covers it. For concealer (after foundation is put on) I am going to suggest my FAVORITE the Maybelline Age Rewind. It will help give her an under eye treatment at the same time highlighting the under the eye area where it may be a little puffy or dark from lack of sleep lol Powder - I am going to suggest the Palladio powder...I like the light coverage that gives the skin a finished look it also is made with a rice formula which is healthier for the skin as well as a natural brand which is great!
Eyes: MY FAVORITE are the smaller pallets from Two Faced because you can do so many looks with one little thing. I have the Cat Eyes one because I do a more smokey eye more often. The one I think Kim will get a lot of use out of is that still in the natural realm. You can use the Nude as an all over eye color for everyday use, a pop of gold shadow for a dressy occasion or the deeper color to emphasize the outer corner for some drama. Eyeliner - For Kim, I would skip it! I would use a dense brush and use a tiny bit of the dark matte brown shadow to apply under eye or on lashline to create more depth. I don't think an eyeliner is needed. I am linking my favorite dense shadow brush below as well as an AWESOME blending brush for the eye shadows. Mascara - I really like this Essence mascara because it is waterproof and cruelty-free plus it is inexpensive .
4. Cheeks - You can't go wrong with NARS Orgasm because its a highlighter and Blush in one! It's gold undertones look awesome with any skin tone. I would apply it with a fluffier brush for Kim because her skin tone is lighter. Can get a Sephora
5. Lips - I don't wear lip color a ton but when I do, I like a matte lip that is cheap and easy to apply that lasts long but not forever. Other than that, I like a matte gloss without sparkle for a more everyday look.
As you all may have seen on Social Media this past year, I had the opportunity to start working with NBC Sports doing makeup for Nascar. I absolutely loved every minute of it. The people were so nice, handled stressful situations well and were all very accommodating. Through the races that I got to be involved in here are a few things I learned….
1. Never judge a book by its cover
If you stand back and watch the spectators at the races you may think…”What the heck?!” However some of the people that other people in a traditional setting are the nicest and coolest people ever with inspirational stories if you just talk to them. Most of the time you can’t even tell the difference between the racecar drivers, the legends and the spectators. You never know who you will see walking around in jeans and a baseball hat.
2. Fanatics are not crazy, they are filled with positive energy
I have never seen a more loyal group of people in my life. They passionately LOVE the sport and the people involved. One time I had a woman ask me for a photo with my hairspray can because she works in a hair salon and they use the big sexy hairspray that I was using. Their enthusiasm, if you change your perspective on it, isn’t crazy, their enthusiasm is infectious making you happy and excited as well. Fans love God, love Nascar and LOVEAmerica (and not in that order lol)
3. Always stay on your toes, things can change at any moment
Before working with the races, I had never actually watched a Nascar race. After sitting and watching it was very representational of life. At times we start out strong and at times we start out behind, there are times where we are going full speed and times when we have to refuel, we may have a blow out or two, sometimes we are going full speed and sometimes we are rolling with the caution flag. Hopefully not, but often so there are tragic events like a wreck that can happen at any moment. Most importantly, no matter what everyone finishes. Either first or last, the drivers never give up and cross the finish line anyway. The races are unpredictable so is life, so everyone invoved are on their toes to prepare for the moments when control is gone.
4. Surround yourself with people that have got your back
Nascar, although it seems like an individual sport, it is a team sport. There are large groups of people that work on the cars, sponsors, driver support, pit bosses, track attendants, security, public relations people, the list goes on and on…bottom line, the drivers are successful because they have people around then that if they ever need anything the team has their back.
5. Be grateful to everyone who has supported you
One thing that continually impresses me is that if you look at other celebrities they run in and out of buildings with security 20 deep per person. Not in Nascar. The drivers who have millions of fans will walk around with NO security not to mention they stop and sign autographs even when they don’t have to. They are never annoyed by the constant bombarding of fans and photos. Dale said to me one time that if it weren’t for the fans, that they wouldn’t have a job. They are truly grateful to their fans and they don’t casually thank people on social media…they SHOW their gratitude by giving their time and making their fans feel important.
6. Family is important - You would be shocked to see that when drivers win races there are two people immediately by their side...their wife and their children. Their CHILDREN are a HUGE part of their career. If you scroll through the Nascar website you will see galleries of "Drivers with Kids at Holidays" or "Drivers with Kids at Halloween". Families of drivers even carry on the legacy, generation after generation. You don't see musicians win the CMA's and have their kids with them to accept the award however when a driver wins, their kids tend to be more photographed than they are.
7. Enjoy life
Boy, oh boy do people involved in this sport LOVE life. Ultimately, it is a sport…it is for fun! Although it is a money maker it is also a GREAT time!! Life is too short NOT to enjoy every bit of what you are doing.
Love life ya’ll!
I don't write personal blogs hardly ever on this account. If you know me, you know I am getting my Masters in Ministries Leadership so I have a blog (Preach2meLyndseyMarie on Tumblr) in which I mostly write VERY personal thoughts, confessions and ministries based topics. I typically keep my Makeup Artistry and Personal separate. However tonight I am compelled to combine the two. One of the most horrific things happened to me tonight and with a heavy heart it has me thinking this is a message for ALL women regardless of religious beliefs.
As most women can relate, after having my daughter my body has changed. For a few years after she was born I obsessively worked out admittingly for vanity reasons. I remember being pregnant and only gaining 22lb because I was UBER UBER healthy (again obsessively) and a nurse commenting "You're single right? Gotta bounce back after having the baby" implying that if I was overweight after giving birth I was doomed to be single forever. Which takes us to now. For the past year I have been pushing "against beauty conformity" to look a certain way, how a makeup artist should (which by the way there is HUGE pressure to look a certain way as a makeup artist oddly). I have been wearing minimal makeup (or a LOT of makeup whatever I feel like), wearing clothes that don't necessarily match but I wear them because they are what I like, and I am eating whatever I want to because "DANG GONE IT I CAN". Unfortunately my rebellious streak has led to weight gain that is affecting my health, but thats another topic. I have gained about 20-25lb in the past 4 months. I know what you are thinking, that's nothing....WELL on a woman who is 5 foot 2 inches on a good day, that's a lot to take on being that much overweight. HERE is where tonight comes in. As I was getting undressed my SIX year old daughter is watching me and starts laughing. I asked her what she is laughing so hard at...she says "Your fat thighs and butt are jiggling all around". I stopped and looked at her taken back. I said, "Lily Marie that is not nice," She kept going. I continued, "Lily please stop you are hurting my feelings"...the laughing continued. "Lily, seriously..." she kept laughing. In shock over how hurt I was, I quickly got dressed and left the room to cry my eyes out in the bathroom. A few moments later, my daughter was knocking on the door, "Mommy are you ok?" I dried my tears, walked her into the bedroom and talked to her being nice and acceptance and about feelings and blah blah....one of those "motherly lesson learned" kind of talks. Which resulted in her saying, "If you don't eat junk food you won't be fat" (again she didn't realize how mean it sounded} AND "No matter what size you are Mommy I will always love you". I was cut to the core by this situation. In all my naked vulnerability, my own baby was body shaming me. The point isn't that my daughter is some diabolical child out to crush me...the point is WHEN AND WHY does the BODY SHAMING start?!? WHY is a 6 year old not only recognizing the terms "FAT" and "SKINNY" but already recognizing the error in being one way over another. Most importantly HOW DO WE STOP THIS?! How do we stop creating Mean Girls?
I think one reason why we as women play the "Fat" or "Skinny" card is because of the lack of vocabulary and it starts at Lily's age. Lily is learning shapes. Before now she has known round to refer to all shapes with curvature and square to be all shapes with "sides" which included in her mind rectangles, boxes and even some pentagon or hexagons. Not because she is dumb but because her vocabulary is limited at this point. I think that's what happens with us....we lack the vocabulary of describing our bodies. In order to not check a box on our size we NEED more boxes on options or better yet no box options. Why the labels...if we live in a world where people don't even have to label their gender orientation any longer why is it necessary to check a box regarding physical size.
When I go to friends houses, I am so happy to share in my time with them that I don't notice if their house isn't perfect, I LOVE them and I am happy to be there. However MY HOUSE, I feel like needs to sparkle before anyone steps foot in. This is how we are with our body as well. Someone my exact build, I would say "You have a GREAT butt" but myself...I am like "Look at your big butt". The way we love others is how we need to love ourselves and vice versa depending on what your struggle is. Some may LOVE the way they look in the mirror and THOSE are the people that body shame others into "Being too fat or too skinny". Either way it goes, the judgement has to be replaced by love.
The CURSE of Social Media
wow, this is SO huge. Lets forget calling it Instagram and just call it "The place that makes your feel inadequate". Its been a HUGE learning curve for me in the past year to realize I am not 20 anymore, I am NOT going to be the makeup artist on IG that has 5 million followers and I am NOT going to have a waist and butt like Kim K any day soon. If I have to see one more person post a selfie in a mirror with their brows super filled in, lashes that are ridiculous with heavy contouring, blinding highlight with a matte lip, sharpened fingertip nails, a 20 inch waist with a 40 inch butt sticking out with their arm slightly lifted like they are holding an invisible trophy while looking seductively into the camera with lips parted to say "oh hey there I didn't see you looking at me" with a hashtag #onfleek I might LOOSE MY COOL. What the heck kind of message are we sending to our teens?! That the standard for a 19 year old is to look like Kyliee Jenner? Because that's possible right!? SOCIAL MEDIA IS SETTING OUR DAUGHTERS UP TO FAIL. It is all so over the top and creating unrealistic not to mention unattainable goals for our women in the world. We are a culture obsessed with perfection. WE HAVE TO CHANGE IT.
Adjust the Message
My daughters comment about "Not eating Junk Food" I wouldn't have minded if she said "Don't eat junk food or it will make you sick" meaning an unhealty heart, cholestorol, liver...whatever other health issues that come with obesity (many which I am dealing with now) but she said "You won't be fat." Why is THAT the message, don't do this or that not to be fat. How about the message be a focus on the positive aspects of health and not the negative aspects on the body image.
Do I have all the answers? Of course not but I am a problem solver. I don't look at a situation and cry over it or complain over it and call it a day. If there is a problem I want to solve it. Realistically, I know I am not going to stop all body image issues with the snap of my fingers but I can start to change how I feel about myself and the message I send to my daughter. So here are some things I think we can do to take ACTION on stopping the issues with body shaming.
1. Beauty Board - We all know the movie mean girls where they stand in a mirror with each other and point out their flaws. I am going to create a board with my daughter every week where DAILY for a week we look at a picture of a woman of all shapes, sizes, races, age and everything and pin it to the board. Everyday that week we will look at that picture and write two things on the board about that woman that we love. For example this picture below...We may say " I love this woman's warm smile, I love her talent, I love her soft hair, I love her beautiful skin tone, I love the bright colors she's wearing....everyday we will focus and find SOMETHING we love about the person."
2. Focus on Accomplishment and NOT physical appearance - There are SO many AMAZING women in our history and currently. I am going to pick a new woman every few weeks to focus on their amazing accomplishments and learn all about that person focusing on more than just how they look.
3. Health Focus - Maybe Lily and I need to talk more about health perspective. Now that I need to get healthy its a great time to encourage fitness for fun, eating healthy, and stress relief TOGETHER and not "working out" for my physical. I can engage my daughter on creating a healthy lifestyle to live a healthy happy life not to live for how you look in a baithing suit or for other people.
4. Emotional Education - We RUN from feelings because heavens lets not admit we have them. Physical health is just as important as emotional health so engaging in healthy emotional practices such as journal writing, meditating, and simply expanding our emotional vocabulary makes us more aware of ourselves and how we effect other people. Helping my daughter learn HEALTHY emotional expression is one of the best tools as a parent I think I can equip her with.
5. Unplug - I have really filtered what I look at on social media and for HOW LONG I look at it. I have gone through phases where I removed social media apps from my phone even. Its hard because I run marketing for my business on social media but at times, I just have to let it go and focus myself on posting positive messages for other people to see and ignoring the negative "me me me" stuff of other peoples.
6. Start with You - If we are going to stop body shaming other people we have to stop body shaming ourselves. Buy a full length mirror and with a dry erase marker write on it 3 affirmations about yourself and read them out loud every day for a month.
Like I said, I don't have all the answers. I do know this has to STOP. We owe it to all the women who fought to be more than just a pretty face behind the stove, we owe it to our future generation to change the objectivity and negativity and we owe it to ourselves to experience self acceptance and love. Most importantly we owe it to God to love his creation and honor our perfect imperfection.
A long time client and friend text messaged me the other night asking for a recommendation on Channel foundation. I had suggested it to her a few years ago. I told her that my NEW jam, as I have mentioned before, is Dolce and Gabbana foundation! LOVE LOVE LOVE. I have my own mother using it that's how much I love it!! I also suggested she take a look at Born this Way concealer by Two Faced. I forgot to ask Traci if she needed a concealer for under the eye or for the face. Born this Way concealer I really like for highlighting and under the eye BUT for blemishes and brown spots I still think that the Laura Mercier Secret Weapon is the best bet. Below are Details on all 3 Products. For Bushes, refer to my earlier BLOG about the Urban Decay Blur Brush for foundation. It is the best!
This is the foundation I LOVE, the Perfect Finish Creamy Foundation, however there is a downfall to it. They don't make it in a super pale color. The lightest color has more of a yellow undertone to it. It only comes in 4 colors total. SO if someone has super dark skin there isn't a shade to support that as well. The click through will take you to SAKS to purchase. They do free shipping and returns so I suggest to get the two colors you think are closest and return the others. The colors are:
Bisque - Pretty pale with a yellow undertone would consider "light" not fair or porcelain though.
Carmel - It is more tan...I would think of this as a Medium tone. I definitely has pink undertones.
Creamy - Is similar to Caramel, it is a tiny bit darker. This is my summer color the color I use if I have been spray tanning. Again, pink undertones.
Natural Beige - Is the darkest color they have. It will go on most dark skin tones, but if someone is very dark in complexion it won't work. Think of Milk Chocolate and not Dark Chocolate. : )
The finish on the foundation is a more moisturizing fuller coverage foundation. It feels super luxurious and looks amazing on all skin types.
Dolce does make a Matte foundation, which I feel is a pretty full coverage and a Luminous Liquid which is similar to a tinted moisturizer but a little more elevated if that makes sense. I do like both of these other options and they do come in a more range of colors. The powder foundation is even pretty nice and typically I do not like powder foundations.
Born This Way Concealer:
There are several colors. These range from very pale to dark. I like to choose a shade a tiny bit lighter so I can use it as a highlighter and a concealer.
You should be able to click on the product to take you to Two Faced directly. If not, click link below so it takes you to my account with them. Traci you are probably Medium or light medium if you are using it as a highlighter as well.
Let me know if you have any questions!!!